Saturday, May 31, 2014

In Defense of Christian Rap

I've been thinking about this subject for some time now. There are people out there, some of them perhaps reading this, that believe Christin rap is sinful.

Christian rap and it's fanbase is growing and gaining popularity. So if Christian rap is sinful, then we should be doing something to stop it. So today I'd like to present some of the main arguments against Christian rap, and we'll weigh each one. And these aren't just arguments made by crazy old grannies: many come from well-established pastors and well-meaning friends of mine. So don't think I'm misrepresenting the anti-rap side.

But before I begin, I want to just share a little bit about my personal experience... When I first heard about the existence of "Christian Rappers," I thought the term was an oxymoron. I scoffed at the idea, and rolled my eyes whenever I heard my friends talking about them. That is, until some friends had me actually listen to some Christian Rap. I loved the lyrics, since they were so full of good theology, and in time, I've grown to love the music style as well. So while reading this, if you are like I was before I heard Christian rap, then keep in mind: I was just like you.

So I did some research, and these were the four main, recurring arguments that I found in support of the idea that Christian Rap is sinful:

It's the Beat
Many argue that Rap (as well as rock, metal, Dubstep, even jazz, and essentially any "beaty" music) is inherently evil. Why? Because of the often fast-paced beat and the drums. The main claim is that the accelerated beat makes people violent, or that it has some sort of sexual element to it. Now, there is a grain of truth to this claim: A fast-paced beat will up your heart-rate, and can make you want to move around to use up that energy. Sex and violence are two ways to expel that energy (it should be noted that sex and violence aren't inherently sinful). And, admittedly, sex and violence are things we see promoted in secular rap. But when we look at Christian rap... Where's the sensuality? Where's the violence? It's not there. Why? Because, as the proponents of this argument seem to miss, there are thousands of completely innocent ways one can move around and expel energy without being sensual or violent.
Four other things must be noted under this argument: First, that not all Christian Rap songs are "beaty". Second, that Christian rappers preach against (sinful forms of) sex and violence in their songs. Third, that the desire to move around and expel energy can be resisted, and quite easily. Fourth, that "more acceptable" forms of music (such as hymns, worship, and classical music-- which I love, by the way) can, even without a fast-paced beat, have the same energizing effect and make you want to move. Are those forms of music inherently sinful as well?

Rap's Origins
Like the last argument, this one claims that rap music is inherently sinful, godly lyrics or not. The reason why is different, though. In this argument, Rap music is evil because of its sinful origins and history. Now, I won't contest the fact that rap's origins are sinful. But to say that its origin makes it evil... well, that I have to disagree with. Mainly, because that is what's known as a genetic fallacy: "The genetic fallacy, also known as fallacy of origins, fallacy of virtue, is a fallacy of irrelevance where a conclusion is suggested based solely on something or someone's origin rather than its current meaning or context."
The second reason I reject this argument is because of the Cross. Do you know why and how the cross originated? Pretty evil, huh? And yet, what does the cross mean to us now? One of mankind's vilest inventions was used for God's greatest purpose. Can the same not be done with rap? I don't know about you, but I find that to be pretty profound.

Look at the Rappers
The anti-rap crowd will sometimes point to the rappers themselves to prove that Christian Rap is worldly and sinful. They point to the hoodies, the cocked-back hats, the bling, and the baggy pants worn by some Christian rappers. They point to the attitudes, mannerisms, accents, and vocabulary used by some Christian rappers. "See?" they say. "They look JUST like the worldly, sinful, secular rappers!" However, this is also a fallacy: the ad Hominem or Personal Attack fallacy. Instead of judging Christian rap based on its merits, they judge it based on the merits of the rappers.
Wait, did I say merits? I should've said appearances, because this is really what's going on, and it's very unbiblical. Do some Christian rappers dress just like they do in the hood? Yes. See for yourself:

From left to right: Christian Rappers Trip Lee, Lecrae, Shai Linne, and This'l.
"Eww! Yucky!" You might say. But I bet that's what people said about John the Baptist, in his long beard and camel hide. Long story short, Man looks on the outside, but God looks on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7).
As for the mannerisms and vocabulary used by Christian Rappers... well, that's just how most African Americans living in the hood talk. It just makes sense that if that's where you came from, and that's who you're witnessing to, then that's how you should talk. Saying that's sinful could be considered racist, besides being unbiblical and completely unhelpful.
The one thing I do like about this argument is that it can be turned around so easily. If you're going to judge Christan rap based on the merits of the rappers, then look at their fruits (Matthew 7:20), not their appearances. And what are their fruits? Well, most Christian rappers lead missions efforts in urban areas, preaching on the streets, feeding the poor, planting, pastoring, and supporting churches... the list goes on. Through these men, God has saved many people from lives of addiction, abuse, drugs, alcoholism, gang violence, prostitution, and more. I honestly have a really hard time arguing with those kinds of fruits. What about you?

Giving in to the Culture?
This argument makes me kind of sad. Like the last argument, it's not really an argument against rap, but against the rappers themselves: another personal attack fallacy. Those who oppose Christian rap accuse Christian rappers of cowardice, caving in to the culture, and compromising with the world. Wow. If only these people actually knew a thing or two about the people they're making these accusations about. It puts their ignorance on display, in a way. Though --and I will touch on this later-- this is the case with most arguments against Christian rap.
Christian rappers are not caving to the culture. Most of them were raised in the culture of drugs, rape, murder, and gangs. Now that they've been saved by Christ, they're on an all-out war to fundamentally change that culture for Christ, using Christian rap as part of their ministry.
Christian rappers are not cowards. Many of these brave men and women are spearheading missions to the deepest, darkest and most violent hoods, where other Christians --the REAL cowards-- dare not go.
Christian Rappers are not compromising with the world. Instead, they've taken something from the world and have turned it to good use, like the cross mentioned earlier. They have, essentially, plundered the Egyptians. Besides: if these rappers DID compromise with the world, then the world would love them. But that's not the case: the world hates them (John 15:9). As a recent example, Christian Rapper Bizzle made a song that preached against homosexuality. As a result, he has received loads of criticism, hatred, and even many death threats. Doesn't sound like a compromiser or a coward to me.

Now, there are a few common factors visible in each of these arguments, and I'd like to talk about them.

The first is cultural elitism of sorts.
If you're going to make a case that something is sinful, then you should bring up Bible verses, or at least biblical principles, and apply them to the subject. Instead, we talk about music styles, sideways hats, and the use of ebonics to praise God. In other words, the best people can come up with is that Christian rap is evil because it's different. Different from the white, western, civilized, classical culture that we've been raised in. Different from what we're used to. I'm sorry, but if you go around the world and visit Christians in other cultures, guess what? You're going to find a LOT of differences, cultural differences. The Christians you meet will eat differently, speak differently, and have different artistic and musical tastes. Being different doesn't automatically make them all evil.

The second common thread is ignorance.
Many of the people making these arguments have never listened to Christian rap, and (as shown by some of their arguments) know next to nothing about the rappers themselves. Now, that doesn't make them wrong, and I'm not saying they have to meet the rappers and listen to their music before they can make any arguments against them. I mean, I don't need to engage in cannibalism to know that it's wrong. But I should at least know a thing or two about cannibalism (like that it involves the murder and consumption of human beings), so that I can use biblical principles to refute it (like the commandment not to murder). Most people opposing Christian rap do neither of these things, as is clear by their most popular arguments.

The third common factor is a lack of scripture. I've touched on this a little bit already, but the common arguments against Christian rap contain little to no scriptural support. In light of this, I suppose it makes sense that they have to fall back on ignorance and cultural elitism to condemn Christian rap.
"Now now" you say "just because there's no verse against rap doesn't mean rap is okay! The Bible doesn't specifically mention abortion, and yet, you yourself oppose abortion." and you're right, totally. The Bible doesn't specifically address some of these issues. BUT, we should be able to apply basic biblical principles to these things. The Bible doesn't say abortion is wrong, but it does say that murder is wrong, and abortion involves murder, so I can logically conclude that abortion is sinful. No such Biblical principles can be put in a similar logical progression to show that Christian rap is sinful. I challenge you to prove otherwise.

As this long post comes to a close, I want to make a few things clear.
Rap, Christian or otherwise, is not inherently sinful. That should be clear already. However, we should also be careful about making blanket statements. You can't say that ALL rap is sinful, but in the same way, I can't say that ALL Christian rap is gold. I'm sure you could find some that isn't all that great.
But my purpose in this post is not to say that all Christian Rap is great. Nor am I saying that you should all become fans of Christian rap, or that you're a sinner for not doing so. My goal is to show that the arguments against Christian rap fall apart, and like the cross, rap --though created for evil-- can be effectively used for God's Glory.

I'd like to close with a quote from an article by Al Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary:
"...I have made many of the same arguments [against Christian Rap] myself. In my head. Thankfully not in public. Am I holding back?
No, I allow myself those arguments in my head when I want to absolutize my preferences and satisfy myself in the righteousness and superiority of my own musical taste and theology. The problem for me is that my theology of music will not allow me to stay self-satisfied on the matter, and by God’s grace I have not made arguments out loud that would violate that theology.
Rap music is not my music. I do not come from a culture in which rap music is the medium of communication and I do not have the ear for it that I have for other forms of music. But I do admire its virtuosity and the hold that is has on so many, for whom it is a first and dominant musical language. I want that language taken for the cause of the Gospel and I pray to see a generation of young Gospel-driven rappers take dominion of that music for the glory of God. I see that happening now, and I rejoice in it. I want to see them grow even more in influence, reaching people I cannot reach with music that will reach millions who desperately need the Gospel."

8 comments:

  1. Hey! I like your Christian blog. My friend and I write a blog too. We do an article discussing our faith every Sunday. We're new and don't have many readers yet. Could you please give us some advice? Idk what to do.
    www.anythingteenreviews.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my blog!
      I checked out y'all's blog. It looks good so far! As for advice, well, I'm probably not of much use to you there, but I'm willing to help however I can. Are there some specific areas you want advice in?

      Delete
  2. Jonathan,
    This is an excellent post! Unfortunately, now I'll have to find a different topic to write on for tomorrow's post on *my* music blog - Christian rap music was precisely what I was going to write about! Funny how that works out... ah well. ;)
    Yours is truly a solid defense for a highly criticized song style; biblically considered and well written. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!
      Haha, sorry about that! Funny how that happens sometimes.
      Thanks again! I am glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  3. This is a really good post. I think the rappers are becoming part of the"hipster" movement. They are not staunch traditional so they are more appealing to unbelievers but they are reformed so they can DEFINITELY benefit the church.
    We need to remember to pray for the reformed rappers though because the more popular they get the easier it is to compromise on more important issues.

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to post a comment! I very much enjoy hearing other people's opinions, regardless of whether or not they are in agreement of my own. Just please remember to keep comments kind and respectful, otherwise they may be deleted!